The day started quietly with a review of Facebook and emails. Later my Valentine and I went out for lunch. We rambled on over to Parrains, one of our favorite destinations, and enjoyed our food on the patio. We observed that the "over the hill crowd" had decided to celebrate the day in similar style. The springlike weather was perfect with plenty of sunshine to go around. We dined on gumbo, grilled fish and bread pudding. Yum! But alas our appetites for dinner were spoiled by the late lunch.
Here is the recipe and the secret ingredient revealed in this post.
Dot's Eggs a la Goldenrod
4 eggs, boiled
1 cup milk
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 slices of toasted bread (we like Pepperidge Farm Double Fiber Wheat)
dried parsley, paprika and the secret ingredient: McCormick Salad Supreme Seasoning*
1. Boil the eggs. (cover with cold water in a small saucepan, cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes)
2. Peel eggs while holding them under running cold water. Slice them in half long ways and scoop out the yolks. Mash the yolks with a fork and set aside.
3. Chop the egg whites into small pieces and set aside.
4. Melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the flour. Stir until smooth.
5. Pour in the milk and stir constantly over low heat until the Béchamel sauce is smooth and thick.
6. Season with salt, pepper and McCormick Salad Supreme Seasoning (secret ingredient) to taste.
7. Stir the chopped egg whites into the sauce.
8. Cover two pieces of toast with 1/2 of the sauce and top with mashed egg yolks.
Makes two generous servings. Garnish with sliced tomatoes and add some cooked bacon to the plate.
Enjoy a peaceful meal without all the hustling and bustling for a table at a restaurant on Valentine evening.
This pairs well with a crisp, dry white wine. Our house wine (was on sale at Sam's) is Cupcake Sauvignon Blanc.
*ingredients of this product: Romano cheese; salt; sesame, celery and poppy seeds; garlic; paprika; black and red peppers
My sous chef was exhausted from her fun Valentine celebrations of yesterday and today and did not join us this evening. She enjoyed her Valentine present the most for the prettily wrapped box. It could have been empty. She loved the wrapping and exclaimed: "Wow" with enthusiasm.