Another rainy day in Zachary. We are still unpacking and organizing, but I decided to make the house smell good by cooking one of my favorite recipes. Cooking is a stay at home activity and I am not going to be out Rambling in such weather. I have been able to locate my favorite recipe notebook from our moving boxes, so decided to prepare a Meat Pie for supper.
Dot's Meat Pie (from Meat Pie A La Lu)
1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
2 cups chopped yellow onions
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 large carrot, grated
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Italian seasonings mix (to taste)
1. Brown the beef and drain away any excess fat.
2. Add vegetables and saute until they are tender.
3. Stir in all other ingredients and pour into prepared pie shell and top with bread crumbs.
4. Bake for about 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
5. Let cool 10 minutes before slicing into 6 servings.
* I have been using Pillsbury prepared pie shells for years. I pass these off as my own, by crimping the crust and making them appear "home made" They can be found in the refrigerated dough section near the Crescent rolls and biscuits.
Note: I changed the original recipe by using frozen chopped onions and minced garlic from a large jar. The cream of mushroom soup is not one of my "cheat" ingredients. It was part of the original recipe submitted by Mrs. James Laroche.
This recipe can be prepared early in the day and baked just before serving. It also freezes well before or after cooking. Rain is predicted for tomorrow, too. Who knows what will be going on in my kitchen!